The last time there was a Royal Wedding, I decided to celebrate with a dessert beautiful, decadent that was 'fit for a king' which would be my Chai Spiced Cupcakes with Shrikhand Icing.
Shrikhand is one of the most divine Indian desserts, of a sweetened thick pressed yogurt that is scented with cardamom, saffron and nutmeg, topped with almonds and pistachios. Absolutely divine and it makes an excellent icing topping for a regal cupcake! With another Royal Wedding announced, there will be another chance to create another decadent sweet very soon.
REGAL CHAI SPICED CUPCAKES with CREAMY CHAI SHRIKHAND ICING
Method of Preparation:
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin baking pan with liners.
2)In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar. Add egg and mix. Mix in vanilla. Set aside.
3) Sift all dry ingredients together. Mix in half dry ingredients with creamed butter mixture. Add milk and mix well. Sift in remaining half of dry ingredients.
4) Spoon batter into cupcake liners. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cupcakes are golden and cooked all the way through. Makes 12 cupcakes.
5) Icing: Lay a cheesecloth in a colander, add yogurt and place in sink. Allow 5-6 hours (or overnight) to drain excess water from the yogurt.
6) Scoop yogurt “cheese” into a bowl. Mix in sugar, saffron, pistachios, almonds and ARVINDA'S CHAI MASALA. Mix well and spoon onto cupcakes as frosting.
1/3 CUP butter, softened
¾ CUP lightly packed brown sugar
1 TSP. vanilla extract
½ CUP milk
1 CUP unbleached flour
2 TSP. ARVINDA'S CHAI MASALA
½ TSP. baking powder
½ TSP. baking soda
12 cupcake liners
1 tub Balkan-style plain yogurt (750g container)
½ CUP granulated sugar
1 TSP. ground raw pistachio
1 TBSP. coarsely ground almonds
1 TSP. ARVINDA'S CHAI MASALA
pinch of saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp. of milk