Not only amazing in this cake, try garam masala in your spiced holiday cookies, fruit cake and my favourite – hot chocolate!
The savoury Indian spice blend really compliments any sweet or dessert containing fruit, rum or dark chocolate. Think of how salted caramel or dark chocolate with chili works so well together, it’s a similar combination.
This Garam Masala Spiced Holiday Cake makes a great hostess gift or can be served at your next Christmas or holiday dinner party. The recipe makes enough for a bundt pan with a little batter leftover, which I easily popped into a parchment-lined loaf pan.
GARAM MASALA SPICED HOLIDAY CAKE
Method of Preparation:
1) Grease a bundt pan. There will be leftover batter—in that case, set aside a loaf pan as well. Preheat oven to 325F.
2) In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla.
3) In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa, ARVINDA'S GARAM MASALA, baking powder and baking soda. Fold into wet ingredients. Add soaked raisins.
4) Mix in milk. Fold in yogurt. Pour batter into cake pans.
5) Bake in oven for 45 minutes. Insert a knife into middle of cake and if it comes out clean remove from oven. Bake until fully cooked.
½ CUP butter, softened
1 CUP sugar (or jaggery)
1 TSP. vanilla
1 ¾ CUP flour
2 TBSP. cocoa powder
2 TBSP. ARVINDA'S GARAM MASALA
1 TSP. baking powder
1 TSP. baking soda
½ CUP golden raisins, soaked in 2 tbsp. amaretto or spiced rum
¾ CUP milk
¼ CUP yogurt
¼ CUP dates (to garnish on top of loaf pan)