Happy 5th of May - it’s Cinco De Mayo! My ‘soft spot’ for Cinco De Mayo celebrations started many years ago on a trip to Miami Beach. We were there for a bachelorette party and while one group of the girls went to catch the sun at the beach for the afternoon, a couple of us decided to explore Miami Beach culture.
It just so happened to be Cinco De Mayo that day and there was a huge street party underway that we stumbled upon! Afternoon sun, mexican fiesta, delicious street foods and live latin music - it’s how I always remember Miami Beach and this very experience inspired us to create Arvinda’s Fiesta Mexicana spice blend. It’s interesting how each and every one of our spice blends that we’ve created for Arvinda’s has a story behind it. It is our memories and experiences through travel and culture that brought us to create each of our 24 international blends and Indian blends alike.
Since that year many years ago, I never miss the 5th of May as a chance to celebrate and create a feast of fresh Mexican foods. Cinco De Mayo is actually a celebration of the Mexican army’s victory over the French empire, however in North America, we tend to use it as an ‘excuse’ to throw a Mexican fiesta! :)
Here’s a great party food that’s easy to create and tasty for a crowd, a Mexican Fiesta 7-Layer Dip. You don’t have to be too picky about actually having seven layers, it’s just a guideline to make sure that you have enough layers of flavour to make it incredible and over-the-top delicious!
I used Arvinda’s Fiesta Mexicana spice blend in the refried pinto beans layer and in the sour cream and cream cheese layer to add a level of Mexican flavours. If you love the smoky flavour of chipotle, opt out for Arvinda’s Chipotle Taco seasoning as a substitute which will be equally as good.
Now onto the cheese layer, here’s where you can get really authentic. I discovered a beautiful cheese at The Food District called Queso Picante. It’s a soft-textured cheese (yet firm) and has a beautiful chili heat to it from Sabana Cheese. Paired with Craft Chippery’s tortillas, it’s all good to go!
MEXICAN FIESTA 7-LAYER DIP
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1) Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add pinto beans. Sprinkle in 1 TBSP. ARVINDA’S FIESTA MEXICANA and cook well for a few minutes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add salt to taste.
2) In a small bowl, mash up avocados and mix in lime juice. Add salt to taste.
3) In a food processor, mix together sour cream and cream cheese until smooth. Blend in 1 TBSP. ARVINDA’S FIESTA MEXICANA, or add to taste.
4) In a casserole dish, add the bean layer, topped with avocado layer. Top with salsa and add a layer of sour cream and cream cheese mixture.
5) Sprinkle on tomatoes, red onions and cheese. Garnish with cilantro and serve with tortillas.
1 TBSP. oil
2 CUPS pinto beans, cooked
2-3 TBSP. ARVINDA’S FIESTA
MEXICANA, to taste
½ TSP. salt, or to taste
2 avocados, mashed
½ TSP. lime juice
½ CUP salsa
250ML sour cream
¼ CUP cream cheese
2-3 plum tomatoes, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
2 CUPS queso fresco OR cheddar
¼ CUP cilantro, finely chopped, to